In this article we will provide model changes of the MAG-9000 sharpener from its first production run in 1989 to the current model. This will be helpful to identify your MAG-9000 determine what parts diagram to check so that you can find the correct parts. This guide is just for a parts reference, it is not an exact production history. You will also find some overlap in some of the generations.
Generation 1 (Production time frame 1989-1991)
The first generation of the MAG-9000 had a full tube frame and was painted orange, the adjustment was controlled by a four point plastic knob and the threaded rod was 1/4" diameter. The 9000-67 update kit to update old MAG-9000 adjustment can be found here, all generations of the MAG-9000 can be updated to this adjustment. We no longer sell the old smaller adjustment components, the update kit is the only replacement choice. The MAG-9000 used a LEESON motor with 1/2 horsepower. When the MAG-9000 was sold with a grit guard with a vacuum connection it was called a MAG-9001. The carry handle is a bolt on plastic handle.
Generation 2 (Production time frame 1992-1995)
- The MAG-9000 is now powder coated red
- Body is made from two "U" frames welded together
- Grit guards are powder coated black
- Switch plate changes from lock out style to just name plate
- 1993 the rear motor screen was added to enclose the MAG-9000.
- 1994 the carry handle is now steel and welded directly to the top of the MAG-9000.
Generation 3 (Production time frame 1995-1998)
- In 1995 the notch in the lower right-hand corner was cut out to grind chainsaw bars square.
- The 9000-22 worktable became wider to support the chainsaw bar during squaring. This is the same size the worktables are today.
Generation 4 (Production time frame 1999-2004)
There are some gen4 units that will have vacuum grit guards, please note there is some overlap with the generations.
- Frame is now bolted rather than welded
- Adjustment rod goes from 5/16" to 3/8" diameter 9000-16
- The adjustment knob is changed to a crank handle for faster adjustment
- The nylon adjustment nut is enlarged 9000-18
- If you need to replace the whole adjustment assembly use this kit 9000-68-KIT
Generation 5 (Production time frame 2004-2007)
There is some overlap in generations you will find some MAG-9000 with the welded handle and rocker switch but with the vacuum grit guard.
- Vacuum port becomes standard on the grit guard 9000-50
- On/Off switch goes back to a metal toggle switch with lock-out plate
- Thrust bearings added to the adjustment 9000-37
- The carry handle is a bolt on plastic handle 9000-58
- Large white logo decal used
- Up to 2007 all MAG-9000's have a LEESON 1/2 HP motor
- 2005 the 9000-53 arbor wrench became standard
Generation 6 (Production time frame 2007-2019)
Motor change information - please note that the current motor we offer as replacement will fit in all generations of the MAG-9000.
- 2007 the motor became a BALDOR 3/4 HP motor with a 35 uF capacitor
- From 6/4/2013 to 3/7/2014 the motor was a LEESON 3/4 hp with a 30 uF capacitor
- From 3/8/2013 to 6/25/19 the motor was a BALDOR 3/4 HP with a 35 uF capacitor
- From 6/25/19 to current the motor is a LEESON 1/2 HP with a 30 uF capacitor
Generation 7 (Production time frame 2010 to Current)
More Coming Soon
- 2010 the grit guard is enlarged to have better spark containment 9000-50 this current version of the grit guard will fit on all previous MAG-9000 generations.
- While motor types changed over this time frame, the exterior of the MAG-9000 looks like the unit below.