When servicing a lawn mower blade respect the tools you are using, read all the manuals and understand their operation. Ensure you are using all the proper safety equipment such as eye protection, hearing protection, gloves, and breathing protection as specified by the manufacturer.
IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTE ABOUT LAWN MOWER BLADE SERVICE
- DO NOT weld a lawn mower blade!
- DO NOT straighten a lawn mower blade!
- DO NOT overheat a lawn mower blade!
- DO NOT grind near the mounting hole of a lawn mower blade!
- DO NOT grind the outer end (thickness) of a lawn mower blade!
- DO NOT grind too close to the lift of a lawn mower blade!
- DO NOT grind a hard 90 degree corner on the interior of the cutting edge of a lawn mower blade! (see image below)
- DO NOT attempt to harden a lawn mower blade!
All of these can cause fractures in the blade and weaken it, this may cause the blade to break apart under normal use, and may cause serious injury.
If you are returning sharp lawn mower blades back to a customer be sure you safely package them in a box or protect the cutting edges and tips so the customer is not injured when handling sharp lawn mower blades.